November 2022 Update: There is a newer, updated list of sound libraries here: Free Sound Libraries for School Technology Projects
In a previous article, I listed 8 great free sound resources that students can use to download fun and engaging sounds to add to their stories, presentations, or other digital creations. Fortunately, there are new sound libraries posted regularly and here’s a couple we found that are appropriate for educational use. If you have others to recommend, please let us know.
- search by suggested category, then narrow the search by a specific term, e.g., Animals – lion
- all 16 000 sound effects are in WAV format
- sounds are available for download under terms of BBC copyright but may be used for personal, educational, or research purposes
- clear and easy preview with description and sound duration listed
- search feature includes alternate suggested search terms to help find suitable results
- all sounds are free and royalty-free
- sounds are in a variety of formats: MP3, WAV, AIFF, and more
- limited library of hundreds of sounds, but if no fitting sounds are found, other external sound websites are suggested
- also included is a thorough listing of additional sound and music websites
- sections of the site are in the creator’s native language French, but the library of sounds are listed in English
Project-Based Lessons for Technology Integration
TechnoKids has projects in which students add sound or music to engage their audience and add interest.
In TechnoCode, students use Scratch to build games, puzzles, mazes, animations, stories, and more. They write scripts to add sound blocks that play audio clips, make them repeat, and combine sound with other actions.
In TechnoInternet, students learn about responsible digital citizenship. As they practice Internet safety, they also explore online radio stations and music services, search for sound clips, and bookmark sound libraries.
Sound Libraries Caution Note
Some sound collections may contain sounds inappropriate for school use. Discuss digital citizenship responsibilities with students before using these resources to confirm their understanding of suitable content.